Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

When you’re on the road, what music moves you?

Ever since childhood, I’ve had a thing for traveling. Especially road trips, I think there is nothing better than packing up the car with a couple of friends to go on an adventure.
I think it’s this sense of adventure that is part of the reason people become transport drivers. There’s that feeling of total freedom that only comes with being on the road. Going from place to place, seeing unusual sights, and, along the way, meeting interesting people.
At the time though, the cab of an eighteen wheeler (or a van, or car, for that matter) can be a bit monotonous between stops. So, of course, many people listen to music.
Personally, music is an essential part of the over the road process. What better way to start a trip out than firing up your engine, turning on the CD player (well, I guess it would be mp3 player these days), cranking the volume WAY up and heading out on the highway.
So, I got to thinking about what the best road songs to listen to on a run. Which are that song that, as a good friend of mine says, “You can sing along with as loudly as you want to, as out of key as you want, and everyone still loves to hear?” You know the music that really moves you when you’re moving.
I decided to ask around a bit to see what people out there on the road listen to. The answers I got were diverse, just as diverse the people I spoke with, and it was a lot of fun.
Here’s how it worked. I gave everyone to lists to fill in. The first list was a list of people’s current top five songs to drive to. The second list was for people’s top five records of all time. Both are in no particular order.
For me they looked like this:
Current Top 5 Songs
*Guns of Brixton – The Clash
*Eastbound and Down – Jerry Reed
*Take 5 – Dave Brubeck
*My Michelle – Guns ‘N Roses
*Going In For The Kill – La Roux
Top 5 Records
*No Control – Bad Religion
*The Chronic – Dr. Dre
*Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Greatest Hits – Tom Petty
*Trees of Green – Louis Armstrong
*A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out – Panic! At The Disco
But hey, that’s just me.
Over the next few posts, I will be exploring the music that moves us while we’re moving, so feel free to post your top five songs and records along with us. Check back often to see who likes what and to see if maybe someone else’s tastes turns you on to something new!
As always, until next time, happy shipping!

1 comment:

  1. I have a radio in my old car, no cd player..sometimes I use my mp3...when I'm driving, I like to sing loud to rock..when my twin sister were small my dad was playing the drums, and he asked why we were singing so softly..I said I didn't think I had a good voice. My dad told us to always sing as loud as we can and don't worry about the voice, it's not about the voice. To this day, haha,I'm sure my friends are sooo happy, I sing as loud as I can.

    ReplyDelete